In addition to the benefits coverage otherwise available, you may be eligible for a travel benefit when you use certain providers. To receive the travel benefit, Care Coordination referral assistance and pre-approval of travel expenses are required.
The travel benefit is available when you receive treatment from:
- A Center of Expertise for a designated procedure
- University of Kentucky's A.B. Chandler and Good Samaritan Hospitals
- Surgery Center of Oklahoma
- A Bundled Surgery Services provider
- Other providers for certain other services when specifically preauthorized by the Plan for the travel benefit
The travel benefit provides reimbursement for pre-approved expenses, up to $10,000 per calendar year. To be eligible for reimbursement, expenses must be approved in advance (before you incur the expenses) through Care Coordination. Expenses eligible for reimbursement are:
- Transportation in your personal vehicle reimbursed at the current IRS standard rate for medical travel (for example, 22 cents per mile in 2023)
- Transportation by air (at the "coach" fare rate), for the patient and a travel companion to and from the provider
- Transportation by rental car (standard class), bus, taxi (including alternative services such as Uber or Lyft), or shuttle
- Lodging (one room) for up to five nights (night before procedure and four days of post-procedure recovery)
- Meal and incidental expenses for you and your travel companion paid through a per-diem reimbursement of $100 per day
Per-diem reimbursement will be mailed to you from Care Coordination upon receipt of supporting documentation of medical travel. While the Plan covers you and your eligible dependents, actual reimbursement generally will be paid only to the employee.
For more information about the travel benefit, call Member Services at (855) 979-5192.
Important: If your reimbursed expenses exceed certain IRS limits for medical-related transportation, the excess amounts may be taxable income to you.